Almost 600 years ago, the Serbian King Stefan Lazarevich built this monastery – one of the most beautiful medieval buildings in Europe with the Church of the Holy Trinity, 11 towers and 139 loopholes.
The construction of the monastery took place in difficult times for Serbia – after the Battle on the Kosovo Field in 1389, when the troops of Serbian feudal lords with the Bosnian kingdom came to fight the Ottoman Empire. Losses from both sides were monstrous. As a result, the Turkish army, having won and Serbia became a vassal of the Ottoman Empire.
In the Middle Ages the monastery was the largest literary center where translation and copying of Orthodox books was carried out. Further books spread throughout Europe, strengthening Christianity and ridding the world of ignorance.
The monastic library consisted of more than 20 thousand books at the days of its height.
At the beginning of the 19th century, during the Serbian uprising, the monastery was almost completely destroyed, but in the middle of the 19th century, there began work to restore it. Now the monastery has regained its former external appearance. Currently, the monastery is being restored, and the works are planned to be completed in 2018.
The editorial office of HMBIA News wishes the «?ust Out festival» orgteam success in the development of their offspring.